Chair of Natural Resources Law and Professor Nigel Bankes
- Research interests: Carbon capture and storage; indigenous peoples' law, especially resource law (international and domestic); international water law (especially the Columbia River Treaty); domestic water law; oil and gas law (regulation and private law).
Professor and Dean Emeritus Alastair R. Lucas, Q.C.
- Research interests: Constitutional jurisdiction over greenhouse gas emission regulation and carbon offset markets; regulation of interjurisdictional pipelines; environmental law and policy; comparative energy and environmental law; international environmental law; oil and gas and energy law.
Professor Emerita of Law Arlene Kwasniak
- Research interests: Water law, wetland conservation law, public lands and resources law; municipal and planning law (in particluar regarding economic instruments such as conservation easements and transfer of development credits); environmental law (in particular regarding environmental assessments); legal and policy issues concerning environmental sustainability.
Professor Sharon Mascher
- Research interests: Environmental law; international environmental law; climate law; natural resources law; mining and energy law; oil and gas law; property law and laws affecting indigenous peoples.
Associate Professor Allan Ingelson, and Executive Director, Canadian Institute of Resources Law, Faculty of Law
- Research interests: Regulation of the Canadian and international energy and mining sectors.
Associate Professor Evaristus Oshionebo
- Research interests: Law and policy governing extraction and mining of natural resources; regulation of transnational corporations in Africa's extractive industries; sustainable extraction of natural resources
Associate Professor Shaun Fluker
- Research interests: Access to the legal system for persons who advocate for environmental protection; the implementation of environmental norms in law; the regulation of environmental markets.
Associate Professor Nickie Nikolaou (Vlavianos)
- Research interests: The regulation of energy and natural resources development; stakeholder engagement; liability for environmental damage; corporate social responsibility; the intersection between human rights and natural resources law; the role of local governments in energy development.
Assistant Professor James Coleman
- Research interests: North American environmental and energy regulation.
Assistant Professor Anna-Maria Hubert
- Research interests: Public International Law; Law of the Sea; International Environmental Law; International Law and Policy relating to Science and Engineering Technologies.
Assistant Professor Martin Olszynski, Assistant Professor
- Research interests: Environmental, water and natural resource law and policy; environmental valuation; ecosystem services, management and adaptive management.
Assistant Professor Fenner Stewart
- Research interests: energy law and policy (regulation and private law); regulatory theory; corporate governance; governance of the oil and gas sector (including indigenous peoples' law); and legal theory (and its application to the areas of natural resources, energy and environmental law).
Assistant Professor Elizabeth Whitsitt
- Research interests: the relationship between international trade law and international investment law with a focus on prinicples of non-discrimination in each of those regimes; international trade and investment law implications for carbon management regimes; international investment law implications for sovereign wealth funds such as the Alberta Heritage Savings Trust Fund and other similar energy revenue-based investment vehicles.
Adjunct Professor Dr. Lila Barrera-Hernandez
- Research interests: legal and regulatory issues related to environmental, natural resources and energy law, as well as on indigenous peoples and global regulatory regimes.
Post-doctoral Chilenye Nwapi
- Research interests: Human rights and corruption in the the context of extractive industries (with a focus on developing countries); corporate accountability for extraterritorial environmental rights abuses; transnational oil and gas pipelines; public participation in extractive resource development.
NREEL Librarian Nadine Hoffman
- Research Interests: Legal research; interdisciplinary research; natural resources, energy and environmental law; carbon capture and storage.